If you had your balance within your Bitcoin wallet which you hold private key, then you should be able to spend your Bitcoin Cash (BCC/BCH) with the private key! Most wallet will be able to backup your private key, mostly in a 12-word mnemonic phrase (BIP39-compatible), or 24-word if you’re using hardware wallet like Trezor, which I recommend.
Before spending your Bitcoin cash
It’s always recommended to move your Bitcoin (BTC) to a completely new wallet address generated from a new seed, not new address derived from same seed (deterministic wallet).
Wait for at least 6 confirmations, theymos suggested in the forum to wait for 30 confirmation for maximum safety, or at least 3 if you can’t wait!
(Assuming the Bitcoin cash replay protection is fully functional and work as the premise, it wouldn’t have any risk.)
How to recover your wallet using Electron Cash
I’m using Electron Cash as it’s one of the wallets suggested by Bitcoin cash website but other should work as well.
1. The first time you execute the app you will be creating a wallet file, just name the wallet file and click next.
2. Next, you’ll be given the option to create either standard or wallet with specific features, I’ll go with the standard one, as I didn’t plan to use it anytime after I sent my BCC
3. In the third page you will choose the way to recover your wallet
A. If you have the private key in 12-word mnemonic phrase, choose to recover with seed, second option.
B. If you going to restore a single key wallet with master private key (xprv), choose the third option.
Now just type your 12-word into the box separated by single space, tick BIP39 from the option, and click Next. Click next on the following page when it asks the derivation format, and create a password if you need for the extra security.
4. Now you should wait for the application synchronizes with the blockchain, and your transaction and balance should be load at the end. If you did move your Bitcoin (BTC) before you do this, you should see your transaction of moving those fund, and have empty balance, this is normal for the first time using this application, just click the green button at the bottom.
5. Untick the “automatically select server” and right click at the correct node, then choose to follow that branch. (The one with electrum-abc.criptolayer.net as node)
That’s it! You should be able to spend your Bitcoin Cash now!
- So far the only exchange platform allows me to deposit BCC is ViaBTC
- Bitcoin Cash (BCC/BCH) confirmations could take VERY long time